Choosing a wood
Where it all starts
Just as no two trees are alike, no two pieces of wood are the same, which results in unique variations of strength, versatility and appearance. Find out which wood is best for your project.
The warmth and texture of hardwood provides a natural contrast to stainless steel and glass accents found in most kitchens. In addition to grain, wood exhibits defining characteristics such as mineral deposits, knots and sap runs that also contribute to its beauty, and are highlighted by stains and glazes.
Common Natural Characteristics
- Bird Pecks – Small marks in the grain pattern caused by pecking birds
- Burl – A swirl or twist in the grain of the wood that does not contain a knot
- Sound Knot – A knot solid across its face, which shows no sign of decay
- Unsound Knot – A circular area that once formed the base of a branch or twig
- Wormholes – Holes in the wood ranging in size to a maximum of 1/16”
- Sugar Tracks – Yellowish to dark brownish streaks that run throughout the wood
- Mineral Streaks – Streaks of color ranging from olive to blackish-brown typically following grain pattern
- Gum Streaks – Mineral-like streaks of color naturally occurring only in Cherry
- Heartwood – The mature, usually darker wood, extending from the sapwood to the center tissue
- Sapwood – Lighter colored parts that grow from inside the bark to the heartwood
These materials are highly durable, less susceptible to discoloration and easy to maintain. They also provide flexibility in color, design and styling – a great option for many homes.
Detailing options for PureStyle laminate are endless because of continuous component wrap technology which eliminates the potential for de-lamination, peeling or cracking. Extensive testing has demonstrated PureStyle’s resistance to UV light, aging, moisture, heat damage and staining.
Thermofoil is a process where heat and pressure are used to bond a thin layer of PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) film to a shaped and glued component made from MDF (medium density fiberboard). The result is a seamless surface that covers a panel's face and edges. The component back uses a white, seamless melamine surface - excellent for easy cleaning.